Sunday, September 8, 2013

A series of shorts

Last night I was feeling creatively restless, and asked my friends on Twitter and Facebook to give me prompts for drabble writing.  If you don't know what a drabble is, and many people don't, it's defined by Wikepedia as a story of exactly 100 words, not including the title.  I know that in fandom, this is absolutely true with whole communities springing up around the art and challenge of writing drabbles.  In other places, however, I've seen this refer to any short work that's under about 500 words.  It's this second, possibly wrong, definition that I was working with last night.  I got some very interesting prompts out of my friends, and one delightfully hilarious and creatively brilliant conversation on Twitter out of it.

I managed to do 100 words exactly for one prompt (The Kremlin), and totally blew up the other two prompts (dead fish & an ornithologist; "what I found on the way to the laundry room in the basement").  I'm sure I could have worked the other two down to 100, I've done it before, but I kinda like what came out.  The question is, will you?



What I found on the way to the laundry room in the basement: Lovely in My Eyes

The Kremlin: In the Shadow of My Father's Kingdom

Dead Fish and an Ornithologist: Copper Gulls

No comments:

Post a Comment